Monday, May 11, 2015

What will you see when you look back...

The other day, after a particularly tough day, I thought -- what will I see when I look back on my life, when I know the end is near?

It was a sobering thought.  Because I have lost so much time - in my fears, in my worries, in my thoughts of opportunities lost - and especially in thinking about how I had failed or just wasn't good enough.  If I added it all up, it's probably a few years that I've wasted.  But the time is only one of the things that I missed - I also missed the opportunity to experience life, to love, to laugh, to enjoy life at it's core.

And then I thought - what if you wrote the end of your story, right now, today.  What details would be included, what experiences would you have, what places would you see?  Would your story about sitting on your ass watching TV, playing video games, or even reading this blog?  Is that the story you want?

What did you learn today?  Was it something new and interesting, or something you could care less about - and you did it only because someone told you to, or you it was part of your job?  Who did you talk to today - and did you really talk to them, or were you distracted, or thinking of something else?  Did you create anything today?  Did you make anyone laugh, or cry?  

Was your day filled with something new or something boring? 

Those were the thoughts I was having the other day, and I thought, I want to fill my life with experiences, with people, with places, with memories.  I want to have sex with lots more women, but I also want to have one more "special" relationship (I know, not very 'sphere is it).  I want to drive fast on a open road, I want to swim in some warm ocean, I want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane ... I want to learn a language, buy a piano (I already know how to play), learn how to cook.

There are so many things that can be done, most of which don't even really cost that much money, but they give us the stories of our lives.  Those experiences help create who you are - the wins and the losses - because it is all important.  

So what will your story be - go ahead and write it tonight, then begin living it tomorrow.

Eyes front Gentlemen.  Live, Learn, Lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only blatant spam will be deleted. An open forum creates new ideas.