Friday, December 20, 2013

Never get comfortable...

One of the greatest lies we are told in our lives is to seek comfort - to be (or become) comfortable - to eliminate anything "feels" uncomfortable.  As men, we seek the comfort of women - think of all those things that we most pleasurable about them...their soft skin, their smile, their laugh...even when attracted to a woman, it's those things that I perceive as "soft" or soothing the most attractive.

In my life, seeking comfort became almost an obsession.  After every "hunt", I wanted to relax and enjoy the some level of comfort.  When I graduated college, I wanted to sit back and enjoy the accomplishment; everytime I've landed a job, I wanted to enjoy the feeling of accomplishment; when I sold, every sales (both big and small) I wanted claps on the back and at-a-boys; after getting married, it was time to lie back and get comfortable.

Here's the problem with comfort - it dulls your edge, it makes you lazy, it gets....comfortable.  And then, things change - you lose the job, you're sales manager says "what have you done for me lately", your wife throws the kids at you and says "you're turn".  And the comfort is shattered.
The lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host, and then a master...Khalil Gibran 
It is so easy to spend our lives seeking comfort.  In my opinion, this is why in our world of abundance for most of us, we get lazy, we get fat, we get complacent in our lives.  In the previous quote, comfort is something we seek, we invite into our lives, but once in, it become THE thing that drives us.  Then we get that comfort and our lives begin an inevitable, slow movement into decline.  Comfort is now our master, not the thing we are seeking or striving to get in our lives.

At our core, we are hunters - we are predators.  We live for the hunt, the pursuit - not necessarily the kill.  If you are happy in your life, right now, there is probably something that is making you uncomfortable - something that you are not quite fulfilled about.  You are are hunting - you are tracking - you are hungry.  Happiness in a Man's life is in those moments.  Oh, the kill may be the crowning achievement, but it's not a lasting feeling - the hunt makes you feel alive.

I've come to the conclusion, that in 2014, I'm going to get uncomfortable about several areas of my life.  I'm going to put myself in new situations, try new things, read new ideas, talk to new people, go to new places - talk about subjects that may make both myself and the other person uncomfortable.  I have been too lazy in my life, I've wanted the at-a-boys too often - instead of the "I can't believe you just said that" moments.  Time to be a bit scary - to both myself and other people.  I want both big smiles and big frowns.  I want to laugh from the gut and cry from the heart - I want to live a bigger life.

Eyes front Gentlemen.  Live, Learn, Lead.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if I am uncomfortable because I am too comfortable, and can't afford to be so, for too long.

    Wald

    ReplyDelete

Only blatant spam will be deleted. An open forum creates new ideas.